This ductless air conditioner installation guideline help you to setup it step by step. So if do it yourself, you can follow the full process.
In contrast to central air conditioners, ductless units are very easy to install. You just need to follow some basic steps and use the right tools. Currently, technicians charge too much to install an air conditioner. Therefore, learning to do it yourself will help you save some extra money.
The procedure may vary on some models. However, there are some essential steps that are repeated during all installation processes. In this step-by-step guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know to get the job done.
Before you start, make sure you guarantee the minimum safety conditions to avoid accidents. If necessary, ask someone else’s help to mount your equipment on the wall or do the wiring work.
Pay close attention and carefully follow the procedure to ensure a successful installation.
DIY Installation vs. Technician Installation of Ductless Air Conditioner
It’s always good to learn something new. Therefore, it’s a good idea to learn how to install a ductless air conditioner by yourself. In addition to saving money, you’ll be proud of yourself at the end of the installation process.
And there’s nothing more satisfying than seeing those things you do really work. Obviously, to install an air conditioner, you have to know what you’re doing. Therefore, it’s a good idea to study the operation of refrigeration units.
That way, the ductless air conditioner installation process will make more sense to you. Installing an air conditioner is easy until you have to add the cooling fluid.
Certainly, this is the most important and complicated part of the whole thing. You’ll need specialized tools that you may not have in your toolbox. Maybe, buying these tools will cost you more than hiring a technician.
So, if you don’t have the required experience and tools, you better call a professional. So, depending on your own circumstances, it’s up to you to choose the best alternative. If doing it by yourself or contacting an expert.
Step by Step Guide of Ductless Air Conditioner Installation
First of all, make sure you have all the necessary tool kits to get started. Here’s a list of each of them:
- Adjustable wrench.
- Torque wrench.
- Allen wrenches.
- Drill bits.
- Hole saw.
- Utility knife.
- Wire cutter.
- Bubble level.
- Safety glasses.
- Work gloves.
If you’re adding refrigerant, you’ll need the following:
- R134a refrigerant.
- Manifold gauges.
- Vacuum pump.
- Flaring tool.
- Dry nitrogen tank with regulator.
Before you start, check out the general conditions of the air conditioner. Verify that there are no scratches and that no parts are missing. Then read the user manual completely to get a clean & clear idea of what you’re going to do.
To Install the Air Conditioner
Once you have completed the previous steps, it’s time to start the next ductless air conditioner installation steps. This is what you should do:
- Choose a suitable space on the wall to install your ductless air conditioner. The place must be free of obstacles and the wall must not be too hard to drill. So, stay away from reinforced concrete walls. The air conditioner must be at a minimum height of 6 feet.
- Remove the wall bracket from the air conditioner and place it on the wall, in the correct position. With a pencil, mark the points where you need to drill to place the support screws. Use the bubble level to ensure that the bracket is perfectly horizontal.
- Use a drill to create the holes. Then, install screws with anchors on each hole. Then, remove the screws, place the wall bracket and install the screws again.
- Drill a hole on the right side of the wall bracket for the refrigerant tubing, condensate drain and power cable. Use the drill and the hole saw to do this.
- Adjust the position of the condensate drain according to your convenience. Follow the instructions in the user manual.
- After that, prepare to install the power cable. Remove the cap to unveil the control circuit. Insert the power cord into the corresponding hole behind the evaporator. Then, pull the cable from the front to join with the power circuit later.
- Bundle the power cable, the refrigerant tubing and the condensate drain using electrical tape. This will facilitate to introduce all thru the hole.
- Then, insert the power cable, the refrigerant tubing and the condensate drain through the hole. At the same time, attach the evaporator to the wall bracket.
- Using a wire cutter and a screwdriver, join the power cable with the evaporator power circuit.
- Now, prepare to install the condenser. Go outside the property and place the evaporator on the other side of the wall. Mount the unit on a condenser pad.
- Connect the refrigerant tubing and the power cable to the condenser.
To Add Refrigerant Fluid
Don’t forgot to add refrigerant fluid at the process of ductless air conditioner installation time.
- If the refrigerant tubing is too long, you may need to cut it for a perfect fit. For that, you’ll need a tubing cutter and a shaper. Then, put the union knot in place. Finally, use the flaring tool to prevent refrigerant leaks.
- Verify that there are no leaks in the condenser, making a test. For this, connect the dry nitrogen tank to the condenser, adjusting the pressure between 100-200 psi. If the indicator doesn’t show variations in pressure, everything’s fine. Apply a soapy solution around union knots to verify that there are no leaks.
- Then, use the vacuum pump to remove all gas from the system. Using a manifold tool, verify that the total pressure is 0 psi.
- Add the indicated amount of refrigerant.
- Finally, connect the condenser to the power supply. Turn on the air conditioner using the remote control and adjust the temperature.
Certainly, ductless air conditioner installation by yourself is the easiest thing to do. So, don’t be afraid if it’s the first time you do it. If you carefully follow the advice in this step-by-step guide, there’s nothing that can go wrong.
If you have no experience using manifold tools and vacuum pumps, it’s better to let an expert add the refrigerant fluid. Also, if you don’t add the exact amount of refrigerant, you could end up damaging your air conditioner. So, be aware of the things you can do and not.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.